2019 EPSS Maintenance, Testing, and Compliance Manual
The Emergency Power Supply System (EPSS): Maintenance, Testing, and Compliance Manual with one-year update service, was developed specifically for facility management and operations personnel, covering all weekly maintenance and monthly testing procedures for the EPSS such as cooling, lubrication, fuel, and battery charging subsystems. Bonus material is included for healthcare facilities to comply with CMS, DNV, and The Joint Commission.
There are 170+ emergency power supply system (EPSS) requirements found in the National Fire Protection Association, OSHA, CMS, DNV, and The Joint Commission codes and standards. Motor and Generator Institute (MGI) makes compliance with those requirements simple by providing the necessary tools and resources. With the EPSS Manual, owners and facility management professionals can:
- Combine requirements from NFPA, OSHA, CMS (health care only), and the generator manufacturer, to develop a comprehensive maintenance, operation, and testing program.
- Implement proper maintenance and inspection procedures for the cooling, electrical, exhaust, fuel, lubrication, and battery charging subsystems.
- Develop a Preventive Maintenance schedule as recommended by the manufacturer, NFPA 110, and subject matter experts.
- Standardize battery inspection and testing procedures. Starting batteries are the number one cause of EPSS failures.
- Follow NFPA and OSHA requirements for training and safety of personnel.
- Health Care Facilities: Breakdown the Essential Electrical Distribution System, life safety, critical, and equipment branch, and what circuits belong on each.
The EPSS Manual was developed specifically for facility management and operations personnel, covering all weekly maintenance and monthly testing procedures for the EPSS such as cooling, lubrication, fuel, exhaust, starting battery and battery charging subsystems. Bonus material is included for healthcare facilities to comply with CMS, DNV, and The Joint Commission.
What is included with my purchase?
The Emergency Power Supply System (EPSS): Maintenance, Testing, and Compliance Manual with one-year update service include:
- Printed Manual: Receive access to print your manual directly from the Motor and Generator Institute website.
- Manual Updates: Quarterly, MGI will release new content for the EPSS Manual. This content is only available to current subscribers. Our subject matter experts ensure you always have the most up-to-date information available.
- Forms and Checklists: Receive access to forms, checklists, and sample reports. These forms are recommended for use at your facility to ensure compliance with all EPSS requirements.
- Video Library: Receive access to the MGI maintenance, testing, and compliance video library. Use a desktop computer or mobile device, to view videos 24x7x365.
About the Author
Motor and Generator Institute (MGI) was formed in 1995 by Dan Chisholm, Sr, CHEPP. Dan currently serves as the Chairman of the National Fire Protection Association’s Technical Committees responsible for chairman of NFPA 110, Emergency and Standby Power Systems, NFPA 111, Stored Electrical Energy Emergency and Standby Power Systems, and a technical committee member of the Electrical Section of NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code, while also serving as a primary emergency power consultant to the U.S. Army Medical Department (AMEDD) and the Department of Defense.
Dan’s numerous speaking engagements have included addressing annual Healthcare Engineering Association meetings in 40 states and annual meetings of the American Society of Healthcare Engineers (ASHE) during the last 30 years. His publication credits include authoring Emergency Power Supply Systems white papers for the American Hospital Association, Joint Commission, CMS, FEMA, and the Veterans Administration.